Re: Netatalk

Subject: Re: Netatalk
From: jeff (jeff@univrel.pr.uconn.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 11:40:26 EDT

buzinc wrote:

> Dear Jeff
> Thanks for your reply. Bit puzzled not being computer literate, what am I
> looking for in the Applevolumes.default file. Also what is the "man" page
> with "applevolumes.default". Sorry, but being used to MacOS and Windows NT
> you dont need the manual. The version of netatalk is 1.5pre6. Below is my
> applevolumes.default file. At a guess, it already tells you stuff you
> already know. I need to make this server stable and easy to setup, hence
> using Windows NT, but I object paying Microsoft obscene amounts of cash.

Generally, the power of open-source software isn't the price, but more
the extensive support network and fast turnarounds.

Much documentation exists in one form or another for netatalk. If you
are not yet familiar with online documentation, please familiarize
yourself with man pages, and such things, as it will make much
configuration and setup in the future easier on you (and will save you a
lot of money in books).

The quick explaination is that man pages are "manual" pages, which are
viewed using "man". So you type "man" then the program or config file
you want help on, and it will give you a plethora of information in most
cases.

The AppleVolumes.default file is quite self-explainatory, and follows
the format of the majority of many Linux configuration files. Each line
is a separate share, in the format specified in the page. Please read
the comments therein, and try to follow that format. If you have any
questions on what the options do, please either ask me, or post a
question to the netatalk admins list (netatalk-admins@umich.edu) where
someone will be happy to assist you.

Thanks,
Jeff

(As an aside, you *do* need the manual to properly use many of the
low-level features in NT. Its online help is simply a graphical version
of "man".)