Re: Files not visible with over 31 characters

Subject: Re: Files not visible with over 31 characters
From: Bryn Hughes (bhughes@vcc.bc.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 14:42:03 EDT

Apple's solution usually has been to add a number on the end... (Try creating a few new folders and see what happens). It would seem to make sense to duplicate Apple's behaviour, wouldn't it?

Bryn

On Thursday 14 June 2001 10:50 pm, Carsten Neumann wrote:
> What name truncation do you expect?
> Please tell detailed rules!

Okay. This is how I would like to see file name truncation handled:

If the name is over 31 chars and there is no extension just lop chars off the
end of the name to get it down to 31.

If the file name has an extension or layers of extensions e.g.
complete_collection_of_scanned_john_denver_album_covers.tar.gz, then start
lopping just to the left of the first extension. The file name from my
previous example would become:
complete_collection_of_scanned_john_denver_albu.tar.gz

Of course sometime removing characters from a file name will result in the
file having the same name as another file in the same directory. For example
consider what would happen if the following files were both 1 character
over the Macintosh limit of 31.
my_really_important_files1.tgz
my-really_important_files2.tgz

Both files would end up with the name my-really_important_files.tgz, if that
were allowed. The best way to handle this situation may not be immediately
agreed upon by all.

A number could be added to the end of the file name between the root and the
extension. The example file names would become:
my_really_important_files.tgz
my-really_important_file1.tgz

The characters could be removed from the beginning or the middle of the file
name. Which would result in something like this:
y_really_important_files1.tgz
y-really_important_fils2.tgz

OR

my_really_impotant_files1.tgz
my-really_impotant_files2.tgz

The best solution might be a combination of these approaches.

First try removing chars from between the root of the name and the file
extension.

If that results in a conflict try removing chars from the middle of the name.

If that results in a conflict try removing chars from the beginning of the
name.

As a last resort add a number to the file name.

I look forward to hearing other peoples' thoughts on this.

Have a great day.
David Nelson