Baffled with papd

Subject: Baffled with papd
From: Patrick Gardella (pgardella@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2001 - 15:56:27 EDT

I've just gotten a new printer that doesn't have the appletalk port built in. So I figured that
since I've been using netatalk (asun 1.4b2-2.1.3_1) for years now for file sharing that I would
set up printing again (done in other situations).

Now for the baffling part:
My new Lexmark shows up on the Mac just fine, and I have the PPD file from Lexmark. If I print
from the Mac to the printer, I see:

papd [XXXXX] child XXXXX for Lexmark from XXXXX.XXX (Mac's atalk address)
papd [XXXXX] child XXXXX done
But it never prints anything. Nothing ever gets into lpd. And I've switched the "pr=" line in
papd.conf to be both "pr=lp" and "pr=/usr/bin/lpr -Plp" Same thing.

Printing from the FreeBSD box (-current) using "lpr" works.
Printing from the FreeBSD box using "pap -p Lexmark test.ps" works.
Printing to a file on the Mac, dropping it in the shared folder, and printing with both "lpr" and
"pap" work.

The only thing that doesn't work is printing from the Mac to the printer. Same file to print in
all these tests.

Other pertinet data:
Mac with 8.1
LaserWriter 8.6 with LaserWriter II NTX driver.

Any ideas?

(I figured that since "pap" on the BSD box works, the one from the Mac should as well.)

Patrick