Re: kill -1 / tcpwrappers

Subject: Re: kill -1 / tcpwrappers
From: Steven Karel (karelsf@brandeis.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 16:33:30 EDT

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Karen A Swanberg wrote:

> 2) Tcp-wrappers
>
> Right now I have my netatalk daemons starting from rc.local (well,
> actually rc.atalk). My understanding of tcp-wrappers is that in order to
> use them, you must start the daemon in question from inetd. And then every
> time the daemon is requested, inetd launches tcpd, which runs through it's
> checks, and then calls the netatalk (or telnet, or ftp) daemons. Is this
> how tcp-wrappers work for netatalk?

no. The following is my naive understanding:

>From a user perspective, you simply compile --with-tcp-wrappers and run as
a stand-alone daemon. It then obeys the rules listed for afpd: in
/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny through the magic of having linked to
libwrap (at least with the older asun versions -- new versions seem to be
putting hosts.allow|deny in /usr/local/atalk/etc/)

I don't know the internal technical details. But you can safely ignore all
the instructions about invoking tcpd from inetd, they don't apply.