Re: other passwd

Subject: Re: other passwd
From: Henning Jebsen (hjebsen@hbv.de)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 08:05:07 EDT

Claus Atzenbeck wrote:

> via netatalk. The problem is that my passwords usually are larger than
> 6 characters, but the login window on MacOS (for my Appletalk server
> volume on Linux) allows max 6 chars for login.

To me it seems, 8 characters are allowed by the MAC-Client, not 6...

> 1) Is it possible to enlarge the amount of chars I can type into the
> login screen on MacOS, in order to mount my Linux volumes on Mac?

No it is not.... Usernames and passwords are restricted to 8 characters
by appletalk..

> 2) How can I tell netatalk that user "a" uses password "secret1" on
> Linux, but uses password "secret2" to log into netatalk volumes from
> Mac?

If you are using PAM, you could take a look at
/etc/pamd.d/netatalk. There is the point you could
redirect the user&password Database to a LDAP-Server.
But at first you should build the ldap-database ;-)

That would mean, you would have to administrate 2 Databases:
/etc/passwd and LDAP because users "gmeyer" has an account
in passwd and ldap.

Good Luck.

--
mailto: hjebsen@hbv.de  (Henning Jebsen)