netatalk only uses one unix group to identify a persons permissions :-(

Subject: netatalk only uses one unix group to identify a persons permissions :-(
From: Sebastian Frankfurt (sf@infesto.de)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 02:24:05 EDT

Hello,

I have set up a netatalk with

   netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7

on

   RedHat 6.2 (Kernel 2.2.17-6)

Okay, I made a user 'fred' (uid=500) with a primary group 'users' (gid=100).
The user fred is also member of the following groups

   admin (gid=101)
   software (gid=102)
   develop (gid=103)
   fred (gid=500)

A look into /var/log/messages shows me, that netatalk
always identifies 'fred' with only ONE group -> 'users'.

His home directory is under /users/fred

/users -> root.root rwx r-x r-x

/users/fred -> fred.fred rwx r-x ---

It is impossible for user 'fred' to write to it's
homedirectory, because the group of it's home is
group 'fred' (gid=500) but he will always identified
with group 'users' (gid=100).

Is there a configuration option, to tell netatalk
also to get all groups where 'fred' is in?

On UNIX those permission settings are working, because
the owner settings allows 'fred' to write into his
home.

I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE THE PERMISSIONS.

I need that users are able to write to directories
where the group is not their primary group!!!

What other solutions could you provide?

thanx in advance,

Sebastian

PS: Please do a cc to fortune@gmx.de 'cause I'm not