Re: and yet muddier

Subject: Re: and yet muddier
From: Thomas Schierle (ts@visual-s.de)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 04:00:43 EDT

On 01-07-10 02:38 +0200, Chris Herrmann wrote:

> On 01-07-09 15:10 +0200, Thomas Schierle wrote:
>
> Thanks Thomas, will try later today. The problems weren't solved by what I
> tried last night - they only appear when several people are using the
> server, however, over an hour or so. Some other strange behaviour - first
> person on can use network trash, but noone else can.

my guess: multi user network trash needs byte range locking -- a Macintosh
client who logs in looks for the first non-locked byte in the file "trashcan
usage map" and uses the trashcan associated with that byte

> Grr!
>
> Is anyone able to explain why I should/shouldn't use
>
> --enable-lastdid

perhaps you should use lastdid? It does provide true unique non-permanent
DIDs which are preferable over non-unique permanent DIDs

> and
>
> --with-flock-locks

I revisited my server (byte range locking) yesterday opening Quark files
from the server: "file in use" when I try to save an altered file; on "save
as" the file is written to the server but I get a "file in use" error after
the file is written. (QuarkXPress Passport 4.1)

With flock-locks Quark files don't get locked at all for me (Suse 7.0) -- I
was able to open a file that's open in Quark 4.1 a second time using a copy
of Quark 3.32 running at the same client

> The documentation didn't provide many clues as to why you would choose to
> use them. Also, as I'm running it on a Redhat System, should I use:
>
> --enable-redhat

the redhat option provides you with a startup script adjusted to Red Hats
startup machinery, I don't know why you shouldn't use it

>> Chris, try to compile with --enable-dropkludge, IMO that's
>> an essential if you want to work off your netatalk server with
>> QuarkXPress.

again, try: --enable-dropkludge

>> btw, I don't remember the details anymore -- but I have better luck
>> with byte range locking instead of flock-locks.

my testing as of yesterday did remind me to my problems with file locking:
because I don't work off of the server I simply preferred a (more or less)
working file locking system over saving Quark files ...

good luck,
-Thomas

ps, I'm on vacation from July 10, 2001 to July 19, 2001

--
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers