Appletalk and OSX Fix? - FYI

Subject: Appletalk and OSX Fix? - FYI
From: Ryan McBeth (ryan@mobiusnm.com)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 08:10:25 EDT

         I noticed this on Apple's Mac OS X page today. It's
regarding SMB and AFP with Mac OS X. Apple will have a patch out in
September upgrading OS X to OS 10.1:

***
        Networking is also more compatible: Mac OS X version 10.1 now
includes the ability to connect to AFP servers over AppleTalk making
it easier to integrate Mac OS X into legacy networks with older
AppleShare servers and Windows NT servers. We've also added support
to natively connect to Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Unix-based SAMBA
file servers with the built-in SMB client. These servers appear right
in the Finder like any other file server. This makes Mac OS X fluent
in all of today's network languages.

***

The lack of classic appletalk was one of the main reasons we don't
have Mac OS X machines on our network. Maybe this will change things.

Ryan
__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
The only truly secure system is one that is
powered off, cast in a block of concrete and
sealed in a lead-lined room with armed
guards -- and even then I have my doubts.
-Gene Spafford