AFP over Appletalk or over IP ? --> Performance

Subject: AFP over Appletalk or over IP ? --> Performance
From: Henning Jebsen (hjebsen@hbv.de)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 11:35:23 EDT

Hi Folks,
I am working with netatalk 1.5. Our server gives access to afp over
IP and Appletalk (-transall in afpd.conf) If a client takes the chooser
to connect the Server, it gets a AFP over Appletalk-Connection. (you can see
it by pressing Apple-I onto the Volume)
If the client connects by IP-Adress it gets the AFP over TCP/IP connect.

The difference between both methods is *performance*. AFP over
appletalk is *much* slower (about 3-4 times slower)

The funny thing is, that clients which connects to another server,
always get IP-Connection, regardless if they did it by Chooser
or IP-Adress...

Now my question:
Ho can I force AFP-connections to be established over IP instead of Appletalk
??
I found no parameter to do that....
(I dont want to *disable* Appletalk, the volumes have to appear in the Chooser)

Thanks for any hints

--
mailto: hjebsen@hbv.de  (Henning Jebsen)
org:    Heinrich Bauer Verlag