Re: Backup Software Question

Subject: Re: Backup Software Question
From: Ryan McBeth (ryan@mobiusnm.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 11:10:40 EDT

        You know, another thing you can consider is something else we
have running. I call it a "poor man's RAID". Just purchase 2 hard
drives of the same size. Use one hard drive as your working file
server. Back up the entire drive to the second hard drive every
night. That way, you have a complete backup of the system every day.

        It's simple, and it works for those "oh shoot, I just erased
file X", and it's faster than searching for the correct tape.

        Ryan

>Chris Herrmann wrote:
> >
> > amanda. see:
> >
> > http://www.amanda.org
> >
> > a couple of notes:
> >
> > - make sure you have a tape drive that can back up your largest partition
> > within one tape - amanda can't span partitions across tapes
> > - it can be a little tricky to get working, but there are many excellent
> > amanda mail lists, which are generally both responsive and accurate. You'll
> > find links to them on the page above.
> >

>For a larger network and/or more complex backup needs, arkeia, a commercial
>program
>might be useful too.
>
>It's at no cost to use for a simple system (i.e. backup of a single
>server without
>a tape library).
>
>H.
>
>--
>Harald Wagener | Systemadministrator
>FCB/Wilkens GmbH | Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252
>An der Alster 42 | Fax.:+49-40-2881-1263
>20099 Hamburg | http://www.fcb-wilkens.com

Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.
-Vince Lombardi