Re: passwords longer than 8 characters

Subject: Re: passwords longer than 8 characters
From: Harald Wagener (hwagener@fcb-wilkens.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 05:45:09 EDT

Thomas Kaiser wrote:

> If a Mac contants an AFP server then the server will answer the macs
> FPGetSrvrInfo request with a list of UAMs it can handle. Some of them are
> built-in, some of them may not. So the AppleShare client looks into the
> system folder for UAMs. If there is an UAM, that matches the servers then it
> will be used.

[snip]

> There are also Patches available that can be used with AppleShare IP.
> Afterwards you can authenticate via PGP with your server. :-)
>
> >> Is it in the uam from netatalk, or is it built in into the chooser?
>
> You have to search on both ends of the cable ;-)
>
> With AppleShare Client 3.6 (or 3.7? -- can't remember) Apple supported
> third-party UAMs. What you mean is the servers side, I think. When using the
> dhx uam with netatalk and recent AppleShare Clients on your Macs (3.8.6 or
> 3.8.8) then you will use automatically DHX authentication between client and
> server. So you will be able to use longer passwords.
>
> >> If it is part of the uam, it would be nice to lift that limitation,
> >> because then one would be able to authenticate against external services
> >> (i.e., LDAP) with longer passwords.
>
> This can be done already.
>
> > It's a two part thing - you need to use dhx authentication, **and** you need
> > to be using the latest version of appletalk (see earlier email from
> > someone).

But You cannot use DHX if authentication is passed to some external mechanism by
PAM. And if You put uams_dhx.o in the list of allowable methods, the chooser
(appleshare client) will
choose that of it´s own, and authentication against the ldap server won't work
anymore.
Or am I wrong here?

[snip]

> Regards,
>
> Thomas

Regards,
        Harald

--
Harald Wagener      |                                Systemadministrator
FCB/Wilkens GmbH    |                              Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252