Re: quark file locking

Subject: Re: quark file locking
From: Rob deMallac (rsauzier@sfsu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 15:01:27 EDT

This is a known issue with Quark XPress, although it's the first I've read
of it for InDesign.

http://www.macwindows.com/quark.html

"A number of readers have reported problems of Quark Xpress file
corruption when saving files to an AFP server. The problem was first
reported with PC MacLAN, but has since been reported occurring with all
AFP servers, including Windows NT SFM, AppleShare IP 6, MacServerIP, and
Linux running Netatalk. The problem seems to be cause by the unusual way
Quark Xpress saves files.

Because of the way Quark handles its temp files, it is a bad idea to open
a Quark file from any AFP Server. The best thing to do is to copy the
Quark file to the local machine, open it, edit it, and close it; then copy
it back to the AFP Server."

Pain in the butt, but Quark doesn't play nice with AppleShare networks.

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Jeff Masud wrote:

> Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 05:43:03 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jeff Masud <jeff@sudjam.com>
> To: netatalk-admins@umich.edu
> Subject: quark file locking
>
> Another question, I've been having an issue that users with Quark and
> Adobe Indesign have been experiencing "File is locked" when they try to
> save a file that they opened from the server, modified and hit save.
>
> I went through and changed some permissions around and half the users are
> working and the other half are still getting this file locked
> scenario. Any suggestions?
>
> thanks
> Jeff

Rob deMallac