Clients updating passwords - 2nd try

Subject: Clients updating passwords - 2nd try
From: Kris Finkenbinder (redbear@redbearnet.com)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 17:57:53 EDT

Hi,
    I haven't received or seen any response yet on what needs to be done to
allow my two Mac OS 8.6 iMacs to update their passwords on the server. The
server is running FreeBSD 4.3, Netatalk 1.5pre6, and appears to be using the
DHX uams correctly, as they are the only uams listed in my config files,
besides uams_guest.so. The iMacs can login and are presented with the proper
home folder and other designated shares. I got the AppleShare Client 3.8.8
update from Apple's website, and the clients still can't update their
passwords, although passwords longer than 8 characters work (another clue
that DHX authentication is working, correct?). The error I get always says
that the old password is incorrect, even though I can be certain it isn't.
    It would really be the cat's pajamas if I could get this problem solved.
It's a small office with a skeleton staff of technophobes, and I hate to tell
them they have to log into the server to change their passwords. Except for
this small point, the server would require zero maintenance from them.
    Is there a solution to this?

TIA,
--Kris Finkenbinder
redbear at redbearnet dot com