Re: [Netatalk-devel] dropped connections

Subject: Re: [Netatalk-devel] dropped connections
From: Simon Bazley (sibaz@sibaz.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 12:52:00 EDT

Just a thought,
                        The default resource forks that apply to files,
are setup in the AppleSystem (or whatever it is called). As I
understand it (and I may be completely wrong) there is a 4 letter
identifier which defines which application is the default link to a
filetype. For example on my system, jpg's default as associated with
quicktime, but are used and altered by adobe photoshop, hence get a
different resource fork.

                        I'm not sure how to go about doing it, but
surely if you're persistently using a particular file type with the same
application, you could change the default type, to whatever it is you
use. The generated resource forks probably have the magic 4 letters in
there somewhere, but I'm just guessing. I've not looked into how the 4
letters apply to an application, but I'm sure it could be done.

                        That all done you could use samba to upload your
massive files (dont forget you can also go file-open rather than
clicking on an file, to open it in an application other than the one it
was created by).

                        Simon