Netatalk on SuSE Linux 7.2 going nowhere

Subject: Netatalk on SuSE Linux 7.2 going nowhere
From: D. L. Fuller (dlfuller@voicenet.com)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 14:55:41 EDT

I'm a newbie using SuSE Linux 7.2. All I want is to use Netatalk to
exchange files with my Mac. Maybe more later, but keep Appletalk simple for
now.

I quickly got the Ethernet setup and was browsing the web with the easy SuSE
configuration. The next step was 1.4 & 1.5 Netatalk. Compile, install,
etc. I screwed things up and had to re-install Linux in its entirety a
couple of times.

Okay then it was 1.5pre6-1mdk.1586.rpm. It certainly was a lot easier in
the rpm format. The installed files seemed to end up where they should
according to the package's default locations. But "atalk start" commands
still end-up with "Command not found".

I'm just looking for the simplest Appletalk setup to start with. What am I
missing?

Iıve ³read the manual² but most of the documentation is over-whelming with
options for a newbie. Then there are the differences between docs in
instructions and file locations that donıt help.

Before installing Netatalk and re-installing Linux I swear that that "dmesg
| grep Apple" showed "Appletalk 0.18a for Linux NET4.0". Now there's
nothing and thatıs another element that is confusing.

Iıd sure appreciate some guidance.

--Don Fuller

dlfuller@voicenet.com