Re: Filesize limit

Subject: Re: Filesize limit
From: Leland Wallace (randall@apple.com)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 20:58:19 EDT

AFP versions prior to 3.0 use a signed 32 bit int to represent offsets
into
files for reading or writing. This gives those versions a filesize limit
of 2 Gig.

AFP 3.0 provides a signed 64-bit offset, which should last us for a
while.

Mac OS X has an AppleShare Client that speaks AFP 3.0.

Hope this helps
Leland

On Sunday, August 12, 2001, at 11:00 AM, Frank Joerdens wrote:

> Is there a filesize limit built into netatalk? I am wondering cuz I am
> trying to build a fileserver that supports files > 2GB. Initially I
> thought it was a filesystem problem cuz some versions of Linux in
> combination with certain kernels and glibc versions and filesystems
> (e.g. Reiser <= 3.5) don't support files > 2GB. However, I am using SuSE
> 7.0 with kernel 2.2.16 and ext2 which _does_ allow files > 2 GB (just
> created a tar archive with 10). Trying to copy a file > 2 GB from a Mac,
> however results in an error (-40 I think it was).
>
> This was using the version
>
> netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-130
>
> Does anyone have the latest and greatest news on this issue?
>
> Ta, Frank

Leland Wallace Working in AppleShare Engineering
randall@apple.com but not speaking for Apple Computer Inc.
http://www2.inow.com/~randall