Re: [Netatalk-devel] Files not appearing in folder on mac client

Subject: Re: [Netatalk-devel] Files not appearing in folder on mac client
From: Harald Wagener (hwagener@fcb-wilkens.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 12:28:56 EDT

Simon Bazley wrote:

> Files created with SAMBA don't create .AppleDouble files, cause they don't
> have resource fork.
> All the problems I had with Samba and Netatalk came down to the access rights
> of the users concerned. Check that the user trying to see the file has read
> access to the file and has execute on the directory its sitting in. If they
> can see other files in the same directory then the execute bit is already set,
> and its probably a rights issue, so check the owner of the file.
> The problem I used to get was files would be created in the editorial
> directory with rw-r--r-- and owned by fred.fred and the rest of the editorial
> team couldn't access it. I got round it on the samba side by ensuring the
> editorial share had "force group=+Editorial" and the global "create mask =
> 0664" (and "directory mask = 0775"). The + on force group means only force

You could set the sticky bit on directories (2775 instead of 0775). all files
created in the folder then belong to the group of the folder. The sticky
it is honored by netatalk as well, being handled on the underlying
(file system) layer.

Regards,
        Harald

--
Harald Wagener      |                                Systemadministrator
FCB/Wilkens GmbH    |                              Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252