Re: problem mounting two servers

Subject: Re: problem mounting two servers
From: charlie wood (charlie@id-inc.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 17:44:22 EDT

Thomas Kaiser writes:

> Hmm ... I think it has _nothing_ to do with atalkd. atalkd provides basic
> AppleTalk services (and does not depend on tcp/ip). Your communication
> involved the AppleShare Client on mac and afpd on your netatalk server.
> ^^^^
> You will have your problems even if AppleTalk isn't in use at all
> (deactivate atalkd, try to establish the connections via AFP over TCP and
> try it again)
> ^^^^

Really? Sitting here, working with these servers, and supporting an office
of roughly 45 clients, I'm pretty sure of my problem, which was the ability
for my clients to connect to uniquely identified atalkd servers. I had no
trouble with clients mounting the servers uniquely with afpd. The issue has
nothing to do with afpd, nor the AFP protocol or the manner in which AFP
resolves its hostid or name (which is different than the way that atalk does
its resolutions. I'm pretty certain I was clear about my problem in my
original post.

I did some extensive research over the weekend regarding the Unix command
/bin/hostid, and also how atalk and AppleTalk register names. Coupled with
my prior knowledge of how Unix and Mac systems identify themselves, I'm
pretty certain that I won't be having these problems in the future.

Thanks for your comments.

cheers,

</charlie>