Re: Thank you.

Subject: Re: Thank you.
From: Jason Quigley (jasonq@mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 20:17:54 EDT

On Tuesday, September 11, 2001, at 01:42 AM, Matthew Geier wrote:

> Alistair Riddell wrote:
>>
>> What about folks that will want to serve files to Macs (running Mac
>> OS X
>> or whatever) from a non-Apple server? I would hope that Netatalk will
>> offer a free alternative to MacOS X Server....
>
> Well if the MacOSX 10.1 SMB client is good enough, use Samba instead.
> Samba is highly configurable and fast. Much to the digust of Mac
> purists, MacOSX uses file name extensions to associate applications,

Which would be fine except that you wouldn't be able to read existing
Mac archives. And I certainly know that I and my colleagues rely a lot
on our archives of photo material, etc.

Also, I find that Netatalk, at least in our environment, is a little
faster than Samba talking to the windows machines. We can move an ISO
image in about 75% of the time it takes the Windows machines to do so.

Cheers,
Jason.