Re: backing up using rsync+netatalk

Subject: Re: backing up using rsync+netatalk
From: Danny Sauer (dsauer@teleologic.net)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 15:24:33 EDT

Jesse wrote regarding 'backing up using rsync+netatalk' on Thu, Sep 13 at 12:52:
> I need to back up a yellow dog linux system but do not have a cd-rom burner
> that is compatible with linux. We have a cdrom that is attached to a mac
> machine running OS 9. The idea I have is to use rsync to copy the entire
> machine (yellow dog linux) to a netatalk shared folder (on another PC running
> progeny) and then access the shared folder through the mac and burn backups.
>
> I'm very new to macintosh's and fairly new to linux administration. Is this
> a feasible strategy? I'm particularly worried about file permission mangling
> and any other types of file corruption during the process.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers to a better solution or advice on what to watch
> for?

If you want to keep permissions right, you could go with something like my
solution. I use a second machine that I rsync (with all the preservation
options) several machines to, then when it's time to make the backups, I
create the cd images on the linux side using mkisofs. I prefer to use tar
to make archives with a length equivelent to the CD media I'm using (see
tar --tape-length), because I trust tar to keep the file attributes better
than I do mkisof. I also don't know how to keep mkisofs from truncating >31
char filenames...

Either way, make the cd image on the *nix side, then just burn the image on
whatever burner software you have. That way you can do the image transfer
using whatever file transfer method you want instead of needing rsync on the
mac. You really wouldn't need the second machine in the process either.

--Danny