Re: CRLF fun stuff again...

Subject: Re: CRLF fun stuff again...
From: Donald Lee (donlee_nat@icompute.com)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 14:55:21 EDT

At the risk of re-igniting an old brush fire, I want to keep
my promise and report back to this list what I have found.

I finally got around to re-loading one of my old, corrupted backup files
that had gotten me interested in this subject.

The backup files were made with "tar -czf atalkfile /user/homedir*"
on the system hosting the netatalk server.
Retrospect was then used to back up the atalkfile. It worked fine
until I upgraded from the vanilla umich version to the asun version.
I then found that the CR/LF conversion had been done (even though I
explicitly disabled it in both builds) (Another issue is my
very sloppy testing of the backup scheme - shame, shame!)

This conversation gave me hope that I could recover that data, but alas,
on re-loading these files several weeks ago, and writing a utility that swaps
CR/LF and LF/CR, I find that whatever the umich version did was
*not* symmetrical. I don't have the data in front of me, but the
program found all of one char and none of the other, and the re-converted
files were still trash.

So, whatever the outcome of the discussion (I no longer subscribe to the list)
the old umich version did *not* do symmetrical CR/LF conversion.

-dgl-