Re: Large Volumes

Subject: Re: Large Volumes
From: All-Ireland Racing/Guinness Cycling Team (Guinnessbike@mail.iowna.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 17:15:17 EST

Large volumes seem to work just fine (just use the latest version) I've got
a 30G volume available and the Macs see it just fine.
350,000 is a lot of files, but as someone else said, you'll be fine as long
as there's some sort of directory structure. I don't think you want to put
more than about 10,000 files in a directory (as an absolute max), no matter
what OS you're talking about.
I don't see why it couldn't handle 300 connections, but I would have plenty
of RAM in the machine. The server I'm looking at right now has 10 active
Netatalk connections, 1 active Microsoft connection and 2 active NFS
connections. It's using about 10M of RAM to maintain this. I would figure
256M RAM absolute minimum to handle 300 connections. Of course, the more RAM
you have the more file caching the system can do and performance will
improve. The system is an Athlon 1100, running FreeBSD 4.2 and the file
performance is excellent. There're about 10,000 files on the shared volume
comprising 4.5G. The drives, by the way, are SCSI-160m/s IBM HDDS - very
fast!

-Bill