Re: "Another process changed the volume during the search..."

Subject: Re: "Another process changed the volume during the search..."
From: Walt Reed (walt@terrascope.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 19:06:54 EST

Chris Garrigues wrote:

> One of the clients I've set up using netatalk is having a problem where when
> he attempts to use Sherlock to search a netatalk volume, he gets an alert with
>
> Unable to search the volume "WCFileServer"
> Another process changed the volume during the search.
> Please wait for the process to finish and try again.
>
> He's running 9.0. I assume that another user updated something during his
> search. Am I right in this assumption? Is there anything I can do about this?

you neglect to mention what processes might be using the volume: apache, samba,
wuftp, nfs, backup software?
are users connecting through ftp via bbedit? do users telnet to the machine? how
many users?

do any of the other users @ the location experience similar problems? is the user
a "perpetual problem" user? how many other programs is the user running @ the
same time?

i'm just trying to get an idea of how many variables you are dealing with. also,
i'd update this person to 9.0.4, i've noticed better network performance.

if, in fact, you are right and another user is changing the files and interfering
w/ the search, i think i'd try writing an applescript that mounts the volume and
then indexes it @ night when no one could bother it, then shuts down the machine.
once sherlock has it indexed, it should be able to search easier.

hope that helps,

walt reed
systems administrator
terrascope