Re: "Another process changed the volume during the search..."

Subject: Re: "Another process changed the volume during the search..."
From: Chris Garrigues (cwg-dated-b7963c3321a51b26@deepeddy.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 19:36:10 EST

> From: Walt Reed <walt@terrascope.com>
> Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 16:06:54 -0800
>
> Chris Garrigues wrote:
>
> > One of the clients I've set up using netatalk is having a problem where w
> hen
> > he attempts to use Sherlock to search a netatalk volume, he gets an alert
> with
> >
> > Unable to search the volume "WCFileServer"
> > Another process changed the volume during the search.
> > Please wait for the process to finish and try again.
> >
> > He's running 9.0. I assume that another user updated something during hi
> > search. Am I right in this assumption? Is there anything I can do about
> this?
> >

> you neglect to mention what processes might be using the volume: apache, samba,
> wuftp, nfs, backup software?
> are users connecting through ftp via bbedit? do users telnet to the machine? how
> many users?

None of the above. This particular machine is only used by atalk users.
Backup software wasn't running at the time. apache is on the system, but it's
home is in a different part of the filesystem. Samba is also running, but
there are no PCs on that particular site. telnet is disabled and the only
people who have ssh are myself and my partner, neither of whom were logged in.

> do any of the other users @ the location experience similar problems? is the user
> a "perpetual problem" user? how many other programs is the user running @ the
> same time?

He's the most cluefull user at that particular client. The other users all pass
their issues through him. I'll check with him and see if anyone else is having
the problem.

> i'm just trying to get an idea of how many variables you are dealing with. also,
> i'd update this person to 9.0.4, i've noticed better network performance.

I think he's actually using 9.0.4, but I'll make sure about that as well.

> if, in fact, you are right and another user is changing the files and interfering
> w/ the search, i think i'd try writing an applescript that mounts the volume and
> then indexes it @ night when no one could bother it, then shuts down the machine.
> once sherlock has it indexed, it should be able to search easier.

How do you do that? Sherlock/Find/Index Volumes doesn't list the server and I
read in the archive that Apple disabled the ability to build indexes over the
network.

(For some context, I'm primarily a Unix guy but i know my way around a Mac
fairly well. I don't do windows.)

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination. For an explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft, but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.