Re: Netatalk wire speed

Subject: Re: Netatalk wire speed
From: Bruce A. Burdick, Jr. (bucky@interaccess.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 23:47:05 EST

> I need to copy about 13GB of files from a Linux box to a G3 Powerbook. The
> Linux box is running 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 (it's stock SuSE 7) and the Powerbook
> has mounted the filesystem using TCP (I hope - I entered the server IP
> address rather than picking it by name from the Chooser so that should do
> it, no ?). The server has a 3C509 card and is connected to the Powerbook by
> a crossover cable, and the link lights indicate that 100 MB is active. When
> I drag the relevant folder to the Powerbook (containing about 18000 files)
> it trundles away for a while, counting up to the number of files, and then
> starts copying. The estimated varies as a few files are copied, but it's
> always around 40 hours. Now cutting corners here and there this equates to
> an approx. transfer rate of ~ 5MB / minute - this is just a tad below the
> wire speed of a 100 MB network.
>
> Now I know that afp won't really approach wirespeed, even over TCP rather
> than Appletalk, but even so ~ 5MB / minute seems a bit slow. Anyone have
> any suggestions ?

Just curious are you thinking in these terms: B = byte and b = bit ?
Because if you have a 100MB network, I want to come and play!

Otherwise, 5MB/minute works out to ~683Kbps, which sounds like around 45%
utilization on a T1 line, or ~6.7% utilization on 10baseT, or ~0.7%
utilization on a 100Mbps connection. Try sticking a full-duplex 10/100 hub
with informative LEDs between the two boxes and seeing what they tell you.
Some versions of Open Transport can be slow, but not that slow.

And 100Mbps is not the same as 100Mbps with full-duplex. You want
full-duplex.

Also, which version of PowerBook is it? I had a Lombard whose 10/100 card
stopped autosensing and permanently defaulted to 10baseT. Apple swapped it
out for me.

-B...