Applications Show as SimpleText Files and Won't Launch

Subject: Applications Show as SimpleText Files and Won't Launch
From: Bill Colston (wcolston@sd23.bc.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 19:08:04 EST

Everything was going well then....

I created a directory /home/programs, logged into the the volume via the
Chooser and copied the applications to the programs volume. I tried
launching programs, ClarisWorks and BBEdit and everything worked great. I
then added /home/programs to the AppleVolumes.default file so that everyone
could access the programs volume when then logged in with their account name
and password. However, when users log in and mounted their personal volume
and the programs volume, they couldn't launch ClarisWorks or BBEdit as they
appeared as SimpleText files. When ClarisWorks is double clicked SimpleText
tries to open it. I have tried every combination of file permissions I
could think of, even set the Sticky Bit (t) and set the directory setgid. I
also added /home/programs to AppleVolumes.system and double checked to see
if the proper extension/type/creator was set for ClarisWorks and BBEdit in
AppleVolumes.system and they were. I even tried copying the .AppleDesktop
directory from the programs volume to the user's volume but still no luck.

I was able to get a cdrom mounted, placed it in Applevolumes.default so
users could acess it and it did work, although the application icon was
generic. It did launch.

I would like to share more applications via netatalk but I don't have much
hope if I can't even get ClarisWorks and BBEdit to launch.

I am using netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.13-8 on YellowDog Linux 1.2.1.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Bill

Bill Colston