Re: Applications Show as SimpleText Files and Won't Launch

Subject: Re: Applications Show as SimpleText Files and Won't Launch
From: Steven Karel (karelsf@brandeis.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 24 2001 - 19:17:21 EST

Check for the existence of, and the permissions of, the .AppleDouble
folder -- in this case,

/home/programs/.AppleDouble

The type and creator information fo the programs (type 'APPL') is stored
in the .AppleDouble file for the particular program, e.g. in:

/home/programs/.AppleDouble/BBEdit

If the user doesn't have permission to read that file, BBEdit will have
an unknown type, and since there's no file extension to provide a hint,
it'll default to a text file.

steven