netatalk compatible utilities

Subject: netatalk compatible utilities
From: Niall O Broin (niall@magicgoeshere.com)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 08:27:01 EST

This is something which has been buzzing around in my head for literally
years since shortly after I first used netatalk. Everyone who administers
system with netatalk finds himself manipulating Mac. files and writing
little scripts to take care of the pesky resource forks (don't get me wrong
- I think file metadata is a wonderful idea, and I'd love for it to be
implemented in Linux, but those on high don't seem to much like it).

I think there is a need for netatalk enabled versions of
ls,rm,cp,mv,mkdir,ln and find (on Linux systems, all except find are part of
the GNU fileutils package)

Program Extra functionality

ls show size of both forks, show Mac timestamps from finderinfo
rm Remove resource forks where they exist
cp Copy resource forks also if existing, making .AppleDouble as needed
mv Move resource forks also if existing, making .AppleDouble as needed
mkdir Make .AppleDouble automatically - probably not necessary
ln Link resource forks also if existing, making .AppleDouble as needed
find Add -mactype, -creator, -resourcesize

Of course there are probably other functionalities to be added, and other
programs which might need changing, but this lot might be a good start. I
wouldn't propose modifying the standard utilities - I'd add an extra set
called e.g. na_$UTILITY or somesuch.

A thought has just occured to me - how has Apple handled this with MacOS X ?
I presume they've built a filesystem with integrated metadata.

Regards,

Niall O Broin