Re: netatalk compatible utilities

Subject: Re: netatalk compatible utilities
From: Rob Lineweaver (rbline@wm.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 00:49:32 EST

> A thought has just occured to me - how has Apple handled this with MacOS
> X ? I presume they've built a filesystem with integrated metadata.

That's exactly what they did, it's just that Apple built that
filesystem long ago: regular old HFS+ is what OS X uses for files that
need the resource forks. At least this is how I understand it on the
couple of OS X servers I've looked at. OS X itself goes on a UFS
partition but the AFS serves files off of HFS+.

You can even rebuild the desktop database of the HFS+ partition(s) on an
OS X server by booting the box off a Mac OS 8.x or 9.x CD and holding
down Apple-Option...
(http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60401)

Rob Lineweaver
:)