Re: netatalk compatible utilities

Subject: Re: netatalk compatible utilities
From: Niall O Broin (niall@magicgoeshere.com)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2001 - 04:06:50 EST

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 12:49:32AM -0500, Rob Lineweaver wrote:

> > A thought has just occured to me - how has Apple handled this with MacOS
> > X ? I presume they've built a filesystem with integrated metadata.
>
> That's exactly what they did, it's just that Apple built that
> filesystem long ago: regular old HFS+ is what OS X uses for files that
> need the resource forks. At least this is how I understand it on the
> couple of OS X servers I've looked at. OS X itself goes on a UFS
> partition but the AFS serves files off of HFS+.

This is bizarre. It seems that OS X is like two operating systems running as
multi-tasking processes on the same machine. What would you do if you wanted
to use command line utilities to manipulate files on HFS+ partitions ? OS X
beta testers - what does the cp command do if you cp a file on a HFS+
partition a) to a HFS+ partition b) to a UFS partition ?

> You can even rebuild the desktop database of the HFS+ partition(s) on an
> OS X server by booting the box off a Mac OS 8.x or 9.x CD and holding
> down Apple-Option...
> (http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60401)

Jeez - that's bizarre - regular maintenance of an OS X server so requires
rebooting the machine - welcome to Windows NT :-)

Regards,

Niall O Broin