Re: Samba and Netatalk

Subject: Re: Samba and Netatalk
From: Frank Joerdens (frank@joerdens.de)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 08:55:13 EST

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 07:44:54PM -0600, Bruce A. Burdick, Jr. wrote:
[ . . . ]
> > which the PC can't deal with (my PC actually crashes when trying to
> > access a file containing ':' that was created on the Mac).
>
> How did you create a filename with ':' in it? For as long as I can remember,
> every time I type a ':' in a filename, the Finder replaces it instantly with
> a '-'. The Mac uses colons the same way *nix uses '/' or DOS/Windows uses
> '\' -- to terminate directory names in file paths. They are gracefully
> disallowed in filenames.

For the first few weeks of running the Netatalk/Samba combination, I
didn't have the codepage support switched on (didn't know about it or
couldn't get it to work, or something in between). The files that where
created in those first few weeks appear with ugly things like '9:' in
their names where the Mac users used umlauts. Now, with codepage support
enabled, i.e.

character set = iso8859-1

in /etc/smb.conf

and e.g.

/mnt/zeug zeug codepage=maccode.iso8859-1

in /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default

if I create a Folder with '/' in its name on a Mac, it will show up as
':2f' on the PC.

Regards, Frank