Re: Samba and Netatalk

Subject: Re: Samba and Netatalk
From: Bruce A. Burdick, Jr. (bucky@interaccess.com)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 20:44:54 EST

> Make sure that you're running a version of netatalk that has working
> codepage support (the current snapshots are broken in this regard, AFAIK)
> if you want your users to use German umlauts and such in their
> filenames. Then you need to configure both Samba and Netatalk to use the
> same codepage. Current versions also have a mswindows options which
> disallows the creation of filenames containing the characters
>
> /\:*?"<>|
>
> which the PC can't deal with (my PC actually crashes when trying to
> access a file containing ':' that was created on the Mac).

How did you create a filename with ':' in it? For as long as I can remember,
every time I type a ':' in a filename, the Finder replaces it instantly with
a '-'. The Mac uses colons the same way *nix uses '/' or DOS/Windows uses
'\' -- to terminate directory names in file paths. They are gracefully
disallowed in filenames.

-B...