Re: The item "..." cannot be written, because it is locked.

Subject: Re: The item "..." cannot be written, because it is locked.
From: Ryan McBeth (ryan@mobiusnm.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 07:13:57 EST

        That's *exactly* the same problem that I'm having. A popup
Message gives me a permission error but then a file with 0 bytes is
created.

        I *know* my permissions are right because I have the same
setup on a machine running Netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.1 (the distro we
had before the coup and move to Sourceforge).

        I'm just glad that I didn't test this out on a production
machine - I would have been fired if all of my users suddenly
couldn't drop and use files.

        Is the solution to this to keep going backwards in releases
until we reach one that works well with the file permissions?

        Ryan

> (binary
> > built with rpm --rebuild, then installed with rpm -i).
>Additionally, copying
> > files to the server creates an empty file despite the warning. And deleting
> > files results in a privileges warning -- but the files trash anyway. And
> > emptying the trash does not succeed. But dismounting and remounting the
> > volume, after such a sequence, shows the files were indeed
>deleted. _But_ not
> > for directories containing (empty) files: the files must be trashed first

Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
The secret to not getting burned out is to play at
working hard, and not taking things too seriously.
- Linus Torvalds