Volume mounting at startup with OS9.x

Subject: Volume mounting at startup with OS9.x
From: Aaron Levitt (alevitt@navis.com)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 19:21:17 EST

Greets everyone-

I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed. Even though I
saw similar problems reported in the list archives, none seemed to have
while (and will probably end up being off for a bit longer).

I am using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4 on my main production redhat 6.2 linux
box with a 2.2.14 kernel. It has been performing great until recently.
As more and more of our users upgrade to OS9 we are seeing an increasing
number of people that are having problems having volumes mount at boot
time and via aliases.

Currently, one of our shares can't be selected to be mounted at startup,
when you try to check the box to have it mount at startup, it complains
about "The command could not be completed because it contains items that
are in use."

Also, with the same share, if you try to make an alias of it anywhere on
the mac, it gives the same error as above.

The other issue is if you create an alias of another paticular share, a
different one will actually be mounted when you try mounting it via the
alias. It will mount the same different share every time.

We have 18 seperate shares, all shared via netatalk and samba, and these 2
are the only ones with problems and only with OS 9, 9.0.4 and 9.1.
Everything functions normally with macOS < OS9. We have looked at all the
config files and even recreated the AppleVolumes.default file thinking it
may have gotten some strange cr's or spaces somewhere, but still have the
same results. We have also tried dumping the System folder/Servers files
and had no change, and even tried a fresh install of OS9.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

-Aaron Levitt