Re: netatalk with AuthMan UAM

Subject: Re: netatalk with AuthMan UAM
From: wesley.craig@umich.edu
Date: Tue Mar 20 2001 - 09:05:47 EST

> From: sam@shadow.org
> To: netatalk-admins@terminator.rsug.itd.umich.edu

> First I tried using MIT's Kerberos4/5 client (and I'd like to eventually
> use this anyway, but for now that can wait) unsuccessfully. Now I'm
> using the MacKerberos non-UM 2.0.4 as distributed via
> www.umich.edu/~rsug... Using the AuthMan in 2.0.4 I can successfully
> acquire a kerberos 4 ticket but when I try to mount a netatalk volume
> via the chooser, I get an error to the effect of "Sorry, the UAM on the
> server is too old an AuthMan version". Has anybody done any work to
> netatalk to rectify this?

Looks like you've made good progress!

The Kerberos IV server UAM that you found at sourceforge probably
doesn't match the protocol used in the most recent client UAM code. We
made changes to both to support AFP over TCP -- Apple changed the API
to support DSI. You can find server code that matches the most recent
client code at

    ftp://rsug.itd.umich.edu/pub/users/wes/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3um0.tar.gz

If you're interested making the most current UAM work with both AuthMan
and MIT's "Kerberos for Macintosh", we can provide you with the source
code.

Are you planning to add K5 support to the UAM and afpd?

:wes