Re: Another reason to go GPL

Subject: Re: Another reason to go GPL
From: Bruce A. Burdick, Jr. (bucky@interaccess.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 16:57:07 EST

I don't understand how that can work. The GPL, once adopted, establishes a
form of compulsion -- it does not allow what you've described. Suppose code
from another GPL project is incorporated: the presence of that code prevents
netatalk in its entirety from ever being used in a BSD-licensed context
without replacing that code. That's how the GPL works. In the long run, it
permanently prevents BSD-style freedoms such as using the code in a
proprietary release. The code would be balkanized into separate licenses.
The licenses don't coexist by covering the whole project.

A company who makes such a release would have quite a bit invested in its
relationship with the community that developed the base code. Observe Apple
and the FreeBSD crowd.

GPL effectively eliminates ownership through progressively entangling
obligations on the part of the coders. BSD provides a form of shared
ownership, in which the codebase may be forked freely as needed and
participating developers each retain full discretion regarding the
disposition of their work -- public or private.

I have not developed a stitch of netatalk. So this is not my decision. But
thank you for hearing me out.

-B...