Re: Fixing many broken resource forks quickly

Subject: Re: Fixing many broken resource forks quickly
From: Ray Zimmerman (rz10@cornell.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 10:01:45 EDT

At 6:24 AM -0400 4/12/01, Nathaniel Pendleton wrote:
>I have a bunch of broken resource forks
>from Mac files (e.g. hqx, sit, bin) downloaded on a PC
>and PC/Mac interchangeable files (mp3, jpg, gif, doc).
>
>How do I fix them?
>
>I can edit each one with res edit, but what a drag.
>Is there a tool for fixing a bunch of files at once? A free tool?
>
>If not, is there a software developer that could fix this?
>1. Search for all files with type "TEXT" creator "LMAN"
>and suggest fixing them.
>2. Search for files with PC dot3 endings and no fork and fixing them.
>pdf, jpg, mp3, gif, tif, doc, hqx, sit, and bin
>
>-Nathaniel

What do you mean by broken resource forks?

If you mean files with the wrong type and creator, my favorite tools
are FileTyper and Typer. With Typer you can easily set up a mapping
of file extensions to file TYPE/CREATOR pairs and then batch process
them all at one shot. FileTyper is even more flexible in what it can
do, but not as convenient for some things.

Oh ... btw, they're both Mac programs (check www.versiontracker.com)
... Typer is free and FileTyper is shareware ($5 last I knew).

        Ray
umich.edu Thu Apr 12 14:14:11 2001