Re: netatalk-devel package

Subject: Re: netatalk-devel package
From: Matthew Keller (kellermg@potsdam.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 16:35:48 EDT

On 23 Apr 2001 22:07:47 +0200, Lorenzo Perone wrote:
> could someone make a point on how crucial it is (or necessary) to use the
> appropriate netatalk-devel package alongside to netatalk when
> compiling a new version? This is something fairly undocumented...

    I actually, never even noticed the -devel packages, and don't know
    what they do. I strongly recommend compiling from source - I have to
    stress that. The new autoconf system makes it extremely easy
    (./configure --help for a list of options) and will increase your
    stability, while decreasing the number of "it's because you
    installed from a package" problems. And when you DO have problems,
    it's much easier to troubleshoot. No offense intended to the
    packagers - They do a good/necessary job.

--

Matthew Keller Enterprise System Analyst Computing & Technology Services Information Services Division State University of NY at Potsdam Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/