Re: .AppleDouble tests on OpenBSD (long...)

Subject: Re: .AppleDouble tests on OpenBSD (long...)
From: Karen A Swanberg (swanberg@tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 11:19:41 EDT

> From: andrew morgan <morgan@orst.edu>
> Subject: Re: .AppleDouble tests on OpenBSD (long...)

[regretfully chopped lots of good stuff]

> In the current code, when the chown fails, we call syslog at LOG_ERR
> level. In the asun2.1.4 code, it called syslog at LOG_DEBUG level. In
> both cases, no error was passed to the mac client because really, afpd
> should deal with this operation properly or just ignore it. At the
> LOG_DEBUG level, most users never saw the "error".
>
> Somewhere around revision 1.6 of etc/afpd/unix.c, someone changed the
> LOG_ERR to LOG_DEBUG, apparently in the throes of adding dropkludge
> support. If there was a valid reason for the change, please speak up.
> Otherwise, we should change those back to LOG_DEBUG so we don't scare our
> users.
>
> Andy

So to clarify for the newbies, this breaks down to "This isn't a
problem?" We just need to tell our sysloggers to ignore it? Are the errors
catagorized as something like afpd.error or something similar that we can
configure our syslogs to ignore? I don't want to miss other errors, or
have my console window so full of this information that I miss others. If
and when the change is made in the CVS, will someone post here, so I can
test that new version?

Great to hear that this isn't a problem. I've been drooling to let my
users at this fileserver for awhile, and this was the last stumbling
block. Don't worry, I'll tell them it's still in testing.

Thanks,

-Karen

* *
Karen Swanberg |
Network Admin. | Error: Sector not found--
Dept. of Geology/Geophysics |search behind couch? (Y/N)
206 Pillsbury Hall |
310 Pillsbury Ave. SE | Old geeks never die,
University of Mn | They just revert
Minneapolis, MN 55455 | to cleartext.
(612) 624-6541 |
* *