Re: permissions prob

Subject: Re: permissions prob
From: Karen A Swanberg (swanberg@tc.umn.edu)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 11:41:13 EDT

Which version of Netatalk are you running? This was a known problem in the
1.5pre5 version, fixed in 1.5pre6. I believe it was also a common problem
in the 1.4b2, but don't remember for sure.

If you search the mail archives, there are extensive notes on this. I
can't get to the archive FTP site at the moment to pull up the relevant
discussions, but they're also available on the web at:

http://endofdays.rs.itd.umich.edu/~tombeau/netatalk/mail.html

and via ftp at:

ftp://terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu/unix/netatalk

-Karen

on 05/08/01, Peter Risdon wisely declared:

> When my client tries to copy a folder to the network share, he gets an
> error stating he has insufficient permissions, and the following appears
> in /var/log/messages:
>
> -- May 8 10:47:24 gateway afpd[56796]: setdirmode: chmod .AppleDouble:
> Operation n
> ot permitted
> May 8 10:49:26 gateway afpd[56796]: setdirmode: chmod .AppleDouble:
> Operation n
> ot permitted
>
> I'm puzzled because the setup is simple and one I've used elsewhere,
> including in my own office. The server is FreeBSD 4.2 and
> AppleVolumes.default just states:
>
> ~
> /shared/directory/path
>
> The share is also used by samba. permissions of the share are 777.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Peter Risdon
> circle squared
> 9 The Maltings,
> Millfield,
> Cottenham,
> Cambridge,
> CB4 8RE
> UK
> tel +44 1954 251097
> fax +44 1954 252209

* *
Karen Swanberg |
Network Admin. | GNUmusk, an
Dept. of Geology/Geophysics | opensource cologne
206 Pillsbury Hall |
310 Pillsbury Ave. SE | Old geeks never die
University of Mn | They just revert
Minneapolis, MN 55455 | to cleartext
(612) 624-6541 |
* *