Can't login to Netatalk

Subject: Can't login to Netatalk
From: Ken Cunningham (cunningham@medicalrounds.com)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 00:35:50 EDT

Hello, all

I've been using Netatalk without problem for a couple of years now,
on Redhat 6.1, and it's worked fine. Recently I upgraded to RedHat
7.1 to get the new version of various things, and upgraded at that
time to Netatalk 1.5pre6 but I couldn't log in with my new MacOSX
machines.(MacOS 9.1, etc, all worked fine.) So, now I'm using
Netatalk "pre-asun2.1.4-37b", which I've read on the net works with
MacOSX clients.

My problem: I can't log in as anything but a guest user. None of the
authentication methods seem to work; they all list as being 'not
found', except for randnum, which works, but won't allow me to log in.

Any help, ideas?

Thank you,

Ken

Here's my configuration:

afpd.conf:

"LinuxBox" -transall

AppleVolumes.default:

~ Homes

AppleVolumes.system:

(only the file mapping items)

atalkd.conf:

(blank)

netatalk.pamd:

#%PAM-1.0
auth required /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow
account required /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
#password required /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
#password required /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow use_authtok
session required /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

netatalk.conf:

# Appletalk configuration
# Change this to increase the maximum number of clients that can connect:
AFPD_MAX_CLIENTS=20

# Change this to set the machine's atalk name and zone.
# NOTE: if you're zone has spaces in it, you're better off specifying
# it in afpd.conf
#ATALK_ZONE=@zone
ATALK_NAME=`echo ${HOSTNAME}|cut -d. -f1`

# specify this if you don't want guest, clrtxt, and dhx
# available options: uams_guest.so, uams_clrtxt.so, uams_dhx.so,
# uams_randnum.so
#AFPD_UAMLIST="-U uams_clrtxt.so,uams_randnum.so"

# Change this to set the id of the guest user
AFPD_GUEST=nobody

# Set which daemons to run:
PAPD_RUN=yes
AFPD_RUN=yes

# Control whether the daemons are started in the background
ATALK_BGROUND=yes