Re: MacOS X vs Linux HELP.

Subject: Re: MacOS X vs Linux HELP.
From: Lorenzo Perone (lopez.on.the.lists@yellowspace.net)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 14:55:18 EDT

At 16:23 Uhr -0400 01.06.2001, boris@range.infoplease.com wrote:
>BH> I'm sure the developers are sorting all of this out right now for the
>BH> next release, but if anybody knows how to configure netatalk for Mac OS X,
>BH> please post to the list, thanks!
>
>There are some useful discussions of this issue on the OS X discussion
>boards at apple.com. For example, see this thread:
> http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@@.eedb03f/8
>(registration required).

Among the posts here, one points out a phenomenon that made me stop using OSX and netatalk 1.4pre37_test (since with OS9, pre39 or 1.5p6 works better to me):
OSX panics when uploading files... I was using 10.0.1. Sometimes it took some time before the panic occurred. But it was almost sure it would pop up when uploading thousands of files.

>No guarantees, but I'm using this combination and it is working pretty
>well. I do hope someone can figure out what this version does
>differently, and patch the newer versions to work with OS X too.

Are You using 10.0.3, and did You ever experience the panic? I'd like to give the OSX-monster a new try, but as every launching operation on this OS takes ages, being forced to reboot @ every upload isn't really a bargain.... (also considering that OS9.1 has never been as stable as it is now, on my G4...).

Earlier on this list, an Apple engeneer pointed out that one of the problems is related to the 'close fork' call.
Recently I found a message on the netatalk-devel list (to which I have not subscribed yet - just read sometimes), which could have some sort of an answer to the problem.
I am not experienced in patching C source, but maybe for those accustomed to it this is worth a look:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=netatalk-devel&m=98678741702935&w=2

:-)

Lorenzo