Re: papd and samba printer

Subject: Re: papd and samba printer
From: Thomas Kaiser (Thomas.Kaiser@phg-online.de)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 11:16:47 EDT

on Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:31:32 +0200 (CEST), Alle mails voor SMS systeem
wrote:

> Now I would like to be able to print to it from the Mac. Since it is not a
> postscript printer, I can't use Dave on the PCs, but will be using
> netatalk papd.

PAP currently supports also PS-only Printers.

You can do the following:

- create a lpd queue which connects to the windows printer (you can do this
  with samba)

- configure another queue to rip incoming ps-jobs with ghostscript and to
  forward the output to the first queue

- you can share this queue via papd or/and via samba (so you can print from
  the mac with smb to the ghostscript

> What should I put in the print config file for papd ? I have no drivers or
> ppds for the printer.

You can use a generic ppd. A very good explanation can be found here:
<http://www.giub.unibe.ch/~eugster/appleprint.html>

> And how do I restart papd ? I killed it, but don't get it running again...

I think, papd supports rereading it's configuration if you 'kill -HUP' its
process id. So it won't die ;-)

But in your case: to start it again, look how it is invoked in your
netatalk's startscript ;-)

regards,

Thomas