TheFindByContentFolder, TheVolumeSettingsFolder, visibility issue

Subject: TheFindByContentFolder, TheVolumeSettingsFolder, visibility issue
From: Ralph de Rijke (ralph@mediamatic.nl)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 07:53:17 EDT

Hi all,

Two of my linux boxes provide netatalk exports, both provided by
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6.i386.rpm. One runs Red Hat (kernel
2.2.12-20) and the other Mandrake (kernel 2.2.17-21mdksecure).

In the RH-exported directory, the files TheFindByContentFolder,
TheVolumeSettingsFolder and Network Trash Folder are all invisible to
Mac clients. This is a Good Thing.

In the Mandrake-exported directory, however, the Network Trash Folder
file is
invisible but the other two are visible. Removing them manually works
for the duration of the session, but when the connection is broken and
re-established they reappear.

The file ownerships and permissions are identical across both systems.

I don't wants clients to see these files. Could somebody explain what
they do, and what anomaly might explain my situation? Thanks!

Ralph de Rijke

--
Ralph de Rijke, Linux System Administrator
Mediamatic IP, Prins Hendrikkade 192, Amsterdam

"The world is now too dangerous for anything less than Utopia." R. Buckminster Fuller