Re: permissions

Subject: Re: permissions
From: Michelle Murrain (michelle@murrain.net)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 08:30:59 EDT

At 1:59 PM -0400 7/16/01, Luk Vermeylen wrote:
>Can someone give me a good example for file sharing with netatalk?
>I want to share a directory (/data/design/) between samba and netatalk
>the group graphics has total acces to the dir, the group staf only read
>permissions.
>How do i have to set the line in my applevolumes file?
>And how do i have to set the rights under linux for the directory?
>
>Thanks
>
>Now i'm having problems to copy directories with subdirs to the server. He
>copies only the basic dir, when you try again, he makes the sub dirs, but
>doen't copies the files.

My understanding is that as long as the permissions are set properly
for the directory and files, you don't need to do anything special
for samba or netatalk. The caviat is that you do need to make sure
that the default way that files are written works properly (like if
you want to have the files group-writeable). That functionality is in
the samba configs - I don't know about how to work that in netatalk.

Make the directory owned by whoever, group graphics, and make the
files group-writeable/readable, and only world-readable. That means
that everyone can read, but only graphics can write.

For Linux, the commands chown (to change ownership) chgrp (to change
groups) and chmod (to change permissions) are the ones you need. Just
look at the man pages for info on those.

Michelle

--
Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.