Re: Poor netatalk performance

Subject: Re: Poor netatalk performance
From: Thomas Kaiser (Thomas.Kaiser@phg-online.de)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 05:24:07 EDT

Hi Lasse,

you have a funny LAN-Setup. Both NICs are connected via the _same_
Switch/Hub, it seems?

But that's fatal in this setup. If you want to route between the two NICs,
they have to be connected to _different_ network segments!

> Jul 20 14:50:02 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: as_timer configured eth0 phase 2
> from seed

Okay. atalkd configured eth0 with network range 1-1000 and published the
zone name "eth0"

> Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: zip_getnetinfo for eth1
> Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 last message repeated 2 times
> Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: rtmp_packet interface mismatch
> Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: default zone mismatch on eth1
> Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: eth1 != eth0

This means, atalkd tried to activate eth1. Netatalk is very polite (not like
NTs or Novells AppleTalk implementations) and looks whether other seed
routers in this segment disagree to its aims to publish the network range
1001-2000 and zone name "eth1".

Atalkd recognizes that there is already an AppleTalk seed router present in
this network segment, therefore ...

> Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: Seed error! Exiting!

... Netatalk gives up.

> Once I got the boths zones working, but after a couple of restarts it
> stopped once again.

Both NICs must be connected to different segments as I said before.

> During that, the transfer speeds we're still the same.

Do you connect to your netatalk shares via tcp oder AppleTalk? Look into the
Finders Info-window of a Netatalk Share. Normally if your afpd.conf is setup
correctly AppleShare Clients 3.7 or later try to switch from AppleTalk to
TCP if you connect to a Netatalk-Server which supports TCP. Maybe you want
to post your afpd.conf also?

> I also checked the atalkd.conf and noticed that it had been altered. Does
> netatalk configure it automatically?

If you don't supply the '-seed" switch, netatalk will "learn" the networks
configuration on the cable it is connected to (eg. non-routed network -->
addresses within the AppleTalk startup range 65280-65534). You can even let
Netatalk act like an AppleTalk router without supplying seed-router
information. In the case that on every connected network there will be an
AppleTalk-Seed-Router with a correct configuration, Netatalk will learn from
the seed-routers and act as _they_ want.

Well, in your case I would disconnect one of the 2 NICs from network and
would try it again (restarting atalk) using the same atalkd.conf as posted
yesterday. I had some situations where AppleTalk won't startup (problems
with multicast) unless I forced the Netatalk to be a router.

Maybe your poor performance is a result of AppleTalk-Trouble with your
3Coms? Normally the 3Coms are known to support Multicast which is necessary
for AppleTalk ('/usr/doc/Documentation/networking/multicast.txt'). Is your
driver something special?

regards,

Thomas