Re: Poor netatalk performance

Subject: Re: Poor netatalk performance
From: Thomas Kaiser (Thomas.Kaiser@phg-online.de)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 06:21:38 EDT

Hi Lasse,

>> But that's fatal in this setup. If you want to route between the two NICs,
>> they have to be connected to _different_ network segments!

"different" means also: eth0 connected to your network, eth1 connected to
nothing or a network with private ip adresses (might be the simplest
solution ;-)

> I could separate them, but the mac's would still have to access TCP/IP to
> the outside world.

You have to take care that the linux box acts similar when routing tcp/ip
_and_ appletalk.

So if you divide your network into two segments, then you will also have to
route tcp/ip between them.

> Could I route the packets from eth1 (Mac-network) to the actual gateway that
> is connected to eth0?

Of course. Is the "actual gateway" the only device on eth0?

> I'm not an experienced sysadmin, therefore I would appreciate detailed
> instructions. We have public ip-addresses, so there's no need for NAT, just
> routing the packets.

Upps. Where is the firewall?

Are we talking about all these addresses: 213.173.130.0 - 213.173.131.255?

If so, you can divide this internally into two subnets:

213.173.130.0/24 and 213.173.131.0/24, which means you have to setup your
linux box that one interface uses an address from the 213.173.130 range and
the other from the 213.173.131 range. The default route should be the
address of to "actual gateway" and that's it.

Afterwards you have to take care that the Macs in every subnet have ip
addresses from within the right address range (think about setting up dhcpd
on the linux-box). AppleTalk-configuration is easy, because all you have to
do is to use the right atalkd.conf. The Macs will then autoconfigure
themselves with the right addresses.

Regards,

Thomas