Re: Backup Software Question

Subject: Re: Backup Software Question
From: Chris Garrigues (cwg@deepeddy.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 17:15:47 EDT

> From: Christian Schmidt <ChriSchmiLi@gmx.de>
> Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:52:13 +0200
>
> J=FCrgen Weltzer wrote:
>
> > buying a second PC - with linux, netatalk and a hard drive like the
> > server volume.
> > With "copydir" (from freshmeet) (the package is called "mirrordir")
> > and cron all my files are backuped automaticly every night - older
> > versions are kept for some days (you can define it in seconds).
>
> Well, a backup stored on a HD isn't a real backup IMHO, is it?
> What if your backup-HD crashes?

what if your tape becomes unreadable?

How is a backup on a hard disk not a backup?

chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination. For an explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft, but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.