Re: Backup Software Question

Subject: Re: Backup Software Question
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 17:24:04 EDT

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 04:15:47PM -0500, Chris Garrigues (cwg@deepeddy.com) wrote:
> > From: Christian Schmidt <ChriSchmiLi@gmx.de>
> > Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:52:13 +0200
> >
> > J=FCrgen Weltzer wrote:
> >
> > > buying a second PC - with linux, netatalk and a hard drive like the
> > > server volume.
> > > With "copydir" (from freshmeet) (the package is called "mirrordir")
> > > and cron all my files are backuped automaticly every night - older
> > > versions are kept for some days (you can define it in seconds).
> >
> > Well, a backup stored on a HD isn't a real backup IMHO, is it?
> > What if your backup-HD crashes?
>
> what if your tape becomes unreadable?

Then you get the tape from the (day, week, month) prior from offsite
storage. How many hard drives are you planning on buying?

> How is a backup on a hard disk not a backup?

Well, it's not particularly useful for disaster recovery, only for
recovering from user error, and the usual goal of a backup plan is to
insure against data loss from both disasters and user error. Disaster
recovery tends to be the one that's crucial to keeping a business running,
though, and it's also the trickier one to manage, so it tends to get
priority, at least in an enterprise setting.

  -Rich

--
 Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |  "Do not dangle the mouse by the cord or