Re: Reality check on authentication notes

Subject: Re: Reality check on authentication notes
From: Harald Wagener (hwagener@fcb-wilkens.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 05:02:56 EDT

Chris Herrmann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've included most of Thomas' notes in the url below. There's a question
> still about how authentication works/doesn't work if pam passes
> authentication off to an ldap server etc. Anyone got any experience here?

It can be done. You have to configure pam to use the ldap auth module for
netatalk,
and use uams_cleartext.so as uam, since pam passes the password to the ldap server
and needs it in clear text for this.

down side: uams_cleartext.so only works with passwords up to 8 characters long
up side: it also supports groups defined in the ldap directory, i.e. You don't
need
to pollute Your *nix setup with entries in the group definition file.

By the way: We use netatalk on xfs, and are having only minor problems (see other
posting).

This is on RedHat 7.1, with a 2.4.2-XFS kernel, on a dual PIII-800 machine with a
redundantly
controlled raid array over a intel eepro gigabit network card.

--
Harald Wagener      |                                Systemadministrator
FCB/Wilkens GmbH    |                              Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252